Sunday, September 12, 2010

Chapter 2

I found the differences between directed instruction and constructivist theories interesting.  In the beginning of the chapter I thought that I would agree more with constructivist theories.  Upon finishing the chapter, however, I think that there is a place for both methods.  Students need to learn certain things to be successful in life, which follows directed instruction. After a certain point in a students education, I think, it is important for the students have a choice in the direction they head. John Dewey stated that "the curriculum should arise from students interests."  I think that this thought could work well with educational technology.  In today's society especially, children have a strong interest in technology.  By using this in the classroom it may motivate children who might otherwise not have an interest in school.  At the end of the chapter, teacher education was discussed briefly.  This is an obviously important part to being able to keep up with the technology.  Training over time and training continually would be helpful in many schools.

With computers today,almost any thing can be done.  By allowing the students to have access to computers, they are able to use them in any direction they want.  (under reasonable supervision)  This will help them to learn by working with things they are interested in. I also think that the drill-and-practice software could be valuable assessment technique.  When I know that a student is struggling with the material I am teaching in class, this could be a fun way to motivate the student to learn what they need to be successful in the class.

I would be interested to learn multiple different ways that would be effective in integrating the two different theories, directional learning and constructivism.

No comments:

Post a Comment