Sunday, November 7, 2010

Minute by Minute

This article was very interesting to me. I think that formative assessment is a very important part of teaching effectively.  This is supported by the statistic they article gave:“students taught by teachers who used assessment for learning achieved in six or seven months what would otherwise have taken a year (1998).“ Two other things that caught my eye were the ideas of “range-finding” questions: to reveal what students know at the beginning of an instructional sequence, and a “hinge point”: determines the direction the lesson will go, depending on student responses.  I thought that both of these ideas could be very effective ways of teaching in almost any classroom.

I would definitely share and clarify intentions and criteria in my classroom.  When I was in school it always helped me to see what a student had done to get an “A” before me.  For many students I fell that this would be helpful when they are introduced to a new assignment.  I also really like the idea of using “exit passes” in my classroom.  This would be a great way to track students progress and understanding on a day to day level.

I would be interested to learn more about how teachers can activate students as the owners of their own learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment