I find it irritating that social studies classes are often viewed to be not as important as other classes, and therefor students are not tested on it. I think that having a firm grasp on world culture and world relations is important. I also think that the growing concern for inaccurate sites about history should be dually noted in any classroom and that the student should be notified up front of these inappropriate sites. Students need to be able to analyze images and text in order to tell fact from fiction. I was interested in the information about geocaching. This hands on approach to exploration is a great way for students to learn about the world.
I really like the idea of using virtual trips to take students to places they might not normally be able to go to. This will give them a better understanding of the places and the people they are learning about. Clearly Internet research is also a helpful tool in a social studies classroom because students and teachers can quickly get information about current events and new and continuing research.
I would be interested to learn why educators don't value social studies as much as they value math and english.
No comments:
Post a Comment