Sunday, October 24, 2010

Chapter 9

The amount that the definition of literacy has changed over the years was kinda amazing.  I was also interesting to learn what pressures technology has put on this definition, and how it has effected they way that educators must teach. I found it interesting that even though the Department of Education recommends that 30% of schools technology budget should be spent on professional development, only 6% actually is.  I find this to be a little ridiculous.  How do they expect for the technology to used effectively if no one knows how to use it properly.  I also liked the idea they gave about Electronic Ouliners.  I have never heard of these programs before, however, I think that these programs could be helpful for students at almost any level.

I think that using programs such as the Accelerate Reader Program would be useful in almost any classroom. There is a certain amour of reading in any class a student will take, and if this program is implemented early in their education, it can help the student be more successful for when they are in high school or college where they will have a ton of reading for many different classes.  I also like the idea about practicing writing by creating a script for an iMovie or Movie Maker project.  I think this is something that many students would really enjoy. 

I would like to learn more about the opportunities for professional development for technology.  I would also like to know why schools don't think it is important for teacher to take these classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment