Sunday, October 31, 2010

Chapter 11

I found it very surprising that elementary education candidates have lower math and verbal scores then other college graduates who took the Praxis 2 because of a lack of preparation in math ans science.  I feel that this is something that should be addressed quickly.  I was interested to hear about the Internet sites that provide daily math activities to help develop and incorporate math communication skills for students.  I think that Problems of the Week found at the Math Forum @ Drexel could be an effective tool.  There are so many good resources in educational technology, especially for science teachers.  I find it suprising that more teachers don't take the time to learn about the programs and how to use them in their classrooms.

I think that using a virtual manipulative in a math classroom could be very effective. By using these manipulative's the teacher can put students in "real life" situations where they may need to use the information that they are learning in class.  I also like the idea of using interactive/dynamic geometry software.  Especially at a young age, these programs can help students explore a new concept by relating them to things they are already familiar with.

I would like hear more about anthentic science experiences and how to teac them.

No comments:

Post a Comment